Merger and Acquisition
The Strategic Partner provides essential support to Law Firms, offering a range of products, services and consultancy tailored to the Legal sector. Our experience and focus provides you with additional support when you need it and we will work closely with the Firm's owners as a Partner to you.
Our strength lies in our knowledge, experience and connections. We work with you on a continued basis so we truly understand your firm and, where needed, we will provide key services, guidance and support. Our focus is to work with you as a valued Partner, helping you to increase productivity and profitability and control risk through cost effective solutions without deteriorating service delivery.
Our Merger and Acquisition Service
Whether you are seeking to sell, merge or acquire, our service is designed to ensure you obtain the best possible outcome for you and your firm.
We act for firms across the UK seeking to expand through acquisition of seeking an exit from the market. Due to the unique nature of law firms it is important to use an expert who has knowledge of the industry and understands the issues law firms face when seeking to sell, merge or be acquired.
Due to our knowledge and work across the market we have a network of firms in England and Wales that are active in the merge and acquisition sector both buying and selling firms.
We have the ability to help create relationships with our existing clients or we can work on your behalf to target firms (or departments) to acquire. We can also directly approach to your target list of potential firms to establish initial interest.
Our Merger and Acquisition Service
- Preparation - The start of the engagement for our service is an initial no obligation conversation or meeting to discuss your requirements and the rationale behind your merger, sale or acquisition. This will enable us to put together an appropriate initial request for information to commence our service provision. It will also enable us to agree an appropriate fee level for our service.
- Understanding - With the initial information established the next step is to understand the detailed rationale for the decision. The understanding will include: -
- Reason for the M&A or sale
- Review of the firm generally to establish the core features and why the firm would make an attractive proposition to merge with or acquire. If this is a sale to ensure the firm is in the best possible position to obtain maximum value or minimise damage, financial or otherwise
- We will meet with each of the owners of the business to understand their personal requirements as it is more than possible that the needs of each owner will be different and this needs to be factored into the next steps.
- Establishing the requirements of incoming owners or exiting owners. What are the pre requisites and what is being offered to each owner or what is prepared to be offered.
- The structure of the firm and how this will translate into another firm and what may need to change to strengthen and prepare for the integration of a new firm
- The message the firm would like to portray and to who and when. Importantly, what will be said to the staff and how is this to be managed?
- Who is expected to be impacted by impending change and to what extent this needs to be planned for.
- Details of any potential targets to undertake analysis and decide on the best method of approach to secure interest.
- Review of systems and process adopted by the firm enabling comparisons to be drawn with targets which may assist in a successful conclusion or deliver financial savings.
- A review of the financial position of the firm. This initial stage is more high level rather than detailed financial review which will form part of due diligence.
- Prospectus - Once the detail has been established and the full requirements appreciated a prospectus will be put together. If the task is the sale of the firm, we will work with you to highlight the key features of the firm and why it would make an attractive proposition. If the requirement is to find a firm for acquisition or merger the prospectus will focus on why the firm would make a good partner or merger opportunity. The prospectus will be a professional document providing key information to firms who may be interested setting out core requirements and key features.
- Marketing - Unless our engagement is to work with a firm having already found the target firm to purchase, merge with or be sold to, we will need to agree an appropriate approach to informing the market of the firms intentions and what information can be made public or if the instructions should be discrete and direct. We will tailor the approach to ensure the firms requirements are met when marketing and advertising.
- Due Diligence - When an appropriate prospect has been established there will be initial conversations and discussion between the key stakeholders to agree to move into the due diligence phase. It is necessary scope out how due diligence will be undertaken, by who and over what time frame. There will be the need to provide information at some stage and an onsite review will be necessary and this will need careful management. The information to be shared and the approach to be taken needs planning. Due diligence is the essential part of the process and will need to be detailed and accurate as it will be this part of the process and the information obtained and shared that will set the scene for the final negotiations.
- Negotiation - It may be that the firm wishes to negotiate directly with the ‘other firm’ and we will have input as needed or we can manage the negotiations on your behalf. Regardless of how involved we are in the negotiations, we will do our utmost to ensure that the needs of the firm and the owners are met.
- Finalisation - The finality of the process is the drafting of agreements to cement the contractual relationship. We will work with you and your legal team or we can introduce our legal team to assist in preparing the appropriate and final terms for completion.
- Post-Merger/Acquisition - Once completion has taken place the integration of the firm is necessary to be undertaken in a time frame that meets the needs of the firm. Internal and external messaging needs to be agreed and managed effectively. The post implementation period needs a carefully planned strategy to ensure the integrity of the deal is maintained and the reason for the M&A or sale is realised.
As each merger, acquisition or sale is unique, our fees will be bespoke to each instruction. We will agree fees up front and they will be a combination of hourly/day rates and a % for a successful completion based on a minimum completion fee with a cap.
We will be very clear on pricing before the relationship commences and the final price will depend on the requirement of The Strategic Partner and the work we do for you.
We will also discuss funding options that will assist you in securing the service we provide. If you are a member firm you will be entitled to discounts on our fees.
For more information about our Merger and Acquisition service, you can call us on 0203 911 9710 or you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Download our Mergers and Acquisition brochure here for more information.